Changing siding on your home can be quite costly, especially depending on the type of material. Wood or cedar can be expensive, as can some types of vinyl. If your home has wood, aluminum, or even vinyl siding, and it is still in good shape, you can change the color of your siding and give it new life by painting it, rather than replacing it altogether. See below for tips on how to paint the exterior of your home.
Here's What You Need:
- Latex paint with primer for exterior
- Paint sprayer (optional)
- Power washer
- Siding cleaner
- Drop cloths or tarps
- Start by prepping your house. You need to clean the siding so you'll have a clean slate to work with. Power wash the siding first to remove any dirt, dust and mold/mildew. Then use a siding cleaner (made for your type of siding), or a mild detergent mixed with water will do. Scrub away any stains that may remain after power washing the siding. For wood siding, a power washer may be too harsh. You can simply clean the siding using the cleaner, water and a scrub brush. Allow the siding to dry thoroughly before you begin painting.
- Once you have a clean slate to work with, and the siding has dried out, you can begin painting. Be sure to use drop cloths to prevent paint splatters from getting anywhere around your home that you don't want to get paint on. When choosing paint, look for a paint and primer in one, so you don't have to primer and then paint. Be sure to use exterior paint to help hold up to the weather. Use a paintbrush to cut in around edges and to get under the laps. Then use the roller to paint the face of the lap. If possible, rent a paint sprayer to get the job done faster.
- Paint one side of your home, then move to the next side. When you've painted all sides, take a look at your home when the paint is dry to see if there are any spots you may have missed. Look at it at different times of day, as the sun can cast shadows. Paint any areas you missed, then apply a second coat if necessary.
- Once the second coat is dry, take another look at your house and do a third coat if need be.
Painting the exterior of your home is time consuming, but it can be done yourself. Take your time and get the job done correctly. Hire a professional painter like AAA Action Painting to do the job for you if the job is too much for you.Share