If you just purchased an older home and have found dry rot and mold on wood structures, it is crucial that you get this problem taken care of immediately before you move in. If not, both things will lead to much larger problems resulting in higher repair bills. Below is some information about dry rot and mold and how you can get rid of it.
Dry rot is a type of fungus, and you do not see dry rot on wood like you do mold. This is because it grows inside the wood instead of on the outside.
Moisture causes dry rot so the first thing you have to do is take care of the moisture problem by finding leaks. Replace any wood that is damaged by dry rot. Treat existing wood that does not have dry rot with a wood preservative made to prevent this fungus. You should also treat any new wood that you purchase. If your current wood has only a small amount of dry rot fungus, the wood preservative will take care of it. If you need help repairing the damage from dry rot, contact Lifetime Exteriors for more information.
Mold is much easier to find and take care of. This is because it is on the surface instead of inside. You will see mold spores growing in different areas and may even see black mold. Mold commonly grows in a bathroom where the conditions are moist and humid. If you have a basement that is often moist and humid, you will also find mold there.
To remove mold on wood, you can mix approximately one cup of bleach in a bucket filled with water. Dip a sponge into the water/bleach mixture and scrub the mold. If the mold is very bad, you will likely have to repeat this several times. When you are finished, rinse the wood with clear water and then dry the wood with a towel.
If you have a lot of dry rot in your home you should contact a contractor to repair the problem for you. This is because the home is not structurally sound and parts of the wood may fall. This is especially true if the wood is in the trusses that hold your roof. If you have a lot of mold, there are mold remediation companies that can come to your home and take care of this problem for you since it could be a health hazard.Share